Student Employment Opportunity:
Student Mentors - Faculty of Arts Mentoring Centre
September 2017 to April 2018
Share your knowledge, make a difference, gain perspective. Become a mentor!
Summary of Duties
Student mentors accompany newly admitted students as they adjust to university life. They also meet with 2nd, 3rd and 4th year students from the Faculty in both individual and group settings in order to help them during their studies at university. Mentors help fellow students to develop effective learning strategies and study methods, to adopt work habits that favor academic, personal and professional success, and to become familiar with University rules and practices. Mentors not only help students to better define their goals, but also assist them in making use of the services provided by the Faculty and the University in order to reach their potential and better adjust to university life.
Note: The Student Mentor position does not involve tutoring in any discipline taught at the Faculty of Arts.
- Registered in 2nd year or higher, in a program of the Faculty of Arts
- Is bilingual; fluent in speaking and writing in both official languages (English / French)
- Has a good academic record
- Is knowledgeable about the campus, its faculties and services
- Shows strong communication, organization and leadership skills
- Is capable of working independently and as part of a team
- Is interested in helping others; must be empathetic to students needs
- Demonstrates a strong sense of discretion and professionalism
- Accepted by the Work-Study Program
- Previous experience as a group facilitator
Number of jobs available
15 positions (maximum of 10 hours per week from september 2017 to april 2018)
Additional information on the Student Mentoring Program
Student Mentoring Program - SASS (Student Academic Success Service)
Please send your resume and cover letter to:
Simone Davis, Coordinator of the Student Mentoring Centre, Faculty of Arts