Represent the Faculty of Arts at the Convocation Ceremony in June 2016!
The Faculty of Arts is looking for two remarkable students to represent the graduating classes of 2016 in the morning and afternoon convocation ceremonies on June 18, 2016. The Class Presidents will be selected by a committee made-up of faculty administrators and student leaders. The students selected as Class Presidents will each give a rousing, bilingual, three-to-five minute speech at the end of a ceremony as a send-off to the graduates of 2016.
One class president will give her/his speech at the 9:30 a.m. ceremony and must be graduating from one of the following programs:
Applied Ethics, Arabic Language and Culture, Asian Studies, Bachelor of Arts (without Minor), Bilingualism Studies, Celtic Studies, English, Écriture et style, English as a Second Language, Environmental Studies, Ethics and Society, Francophone Studies, French, French Studies, French as a Second Language, Geography, Geomatics and Spatial Analysis, German Language and Culture, Italian Language and Culture, Latin American Studies, Latin and English Studies, Lettres françaises, Linguistics, Philosophy, Piano Pedagogy, Rédaction professionnelle et édition, Russian Language and Culture, Second-Language Teaching, Spanish, Translation, World Literatures and Cultures.
The second class president will give her/his speech at the 2:30 p.m. ceremony and must be graduating from one of the following programs:
Aboriginal Studies, Canadian Studies, Classics, Classical Studies, Communication, Film Studies, Greek and Roman Studies, History, History and Theory of Art, Information Studies, Jewish Canadian Studies, Journalism, Medieval and Renaissance Studies, Music, Public Relations, Religious Studies, Theatre, Visual Arts, World Cinemas.
Saint Paul University: Canon Law, Human Sciences, Philosophy, Theology.
- Academic excellence;
- Contributions to the University of Ottawa and Faculty of Arts community and/or to an off-campus community;
- You must be graduating as part of the Class of 2016 with your first program in the Faculty of Arts;
- You must be bilingual (English and French);
- You must be available to attend your program’s convocation on June 18, 2016.
To be considered, you must submit the following documents:
- An official or unofficial copy of your most recent grade report;
- A brief statement (maximum of one page) outlining your involvement or volunteer activities in the Faculty of Arts/University of Ottawa community or in an off-campus community;
- A draft of your rousing, bilingual speech (approximately 700 words or 2 pages, double-spaced). The speech should look towards the future for members of the Class of 2016, drawing upon your personal memories or experiences but expressing them in a manner that will resonate with all the graduating Arts students attending the convocation;
- A 60-to-90 second video* summary of your bilingual speech stored on a USB memory stick; and
- A completed copy of the nomination form;
Please submit your completed application to Audrey Patry-Moncion in Simard Hall, Room 113, by 4 p.m. on April 15, 2016.
The selection committee will review your application and will contact you should you be chosen as Class President.
Thank you in advance for offering to participate in this leadership opportunity.
For further information, please contact the Cabinet of the Dean of the Faculty of arts at 613-562-5705.
* We are not looking for professionally produced videos. Your video should support your application by demonstrating your speaking skills, not your video production skills.
All contestants acknowledge that videos submitted may be used by the Faculty of Arts in promotional materials, advertisements and online marketing activities. By entering the contest, participants expressly waive all moral rights with regard to the video. The University may use, edit, reproduce, publish, broadcast, exhibit, transmit and distribute both the video itself and the name, images, audio and text submitted by the participants, without further permission or compensation.