This program will fund interdisciplinary research groups in the Faculty of Arts which find themselves at different stages of development (early stage, fully functioning, up for renewal) and which are seeking to establish a program of research.
The Faculty will award up to a maximum of $ 5,000 for one year projects. The total amount associated with this program will be $20, 000 per year for as long as the funds permit it. The number of grants will therefore be limited. If applicants wish to seek additional funds from the University, they must ensure that their application also meets those other criteria. Click here for more information.
- The group must be comprised of at least three Faculty of Arts professors as affiliated members
- The group must be interdisciplinary
- The person (s) in charge of the group must have applied for external funds as principal investigator or as a co-investigator within the last three years
- To create a place for exchanging ideas and an opportunity for interdisciplinary research;
- To support and encourage the establishment of interdisciplinary research;
- To support the deepening of research themes which require a collaborative approach;
- To maximise theoretical outcomes – teaching and research – and practical outcomes –application and innovation;
- To increase the visibility of research in the Faculty of Arts;
- To develop opportunities for exchange with other universities;
- To facilitate the integration of new professors in research projects;
- To create opportunities to participate in the integration of Post-doctoral researchers and new researchers in research projects;
- To contribute to the training of students by including them in research activities when appropriate;
- To encourage the interest and participation of students (potential and enrolled) on research being conducted at the University of Ottawa within their discipline.
The application must be accompanied by the following documents:
- An "RE form" signed by the applicant;
- A "Support for Interdisciplinary Research Groups" form which contains the following sections:
- Presentation of the research group and its mandate (1/2 page)
- Calendar of applications for external funding (1/2 page)
- Presentation of the members and the synergy between them as well as their contribution to group work (2 pages)
- Statement of interdisciplinarity (1/2 page)
- Explanation of the integration of graduate students (1/2 page)
- Brief description of the research program for the year of funding (3 pages)
- Research Groups Budget Form
- Budget Justification (1 page maximum)
- For Faculty of Arts professors, up to date CV (last 8 years) in OCGS or UNIWeb format. For participating professors who are not from the Faculty of Arts, other CV formats are accepted.
- Scientific quality of the program of research and activities
- Overview of the previous programming for groups which already exist
- Expertise and integration of the members of the group
- Research training and integration of students
- Appropriateness of budget
- Calendar of applications for external funding
- Must be written in a clear and accessible style, avoiding the use of jargon to ensure that your project can be understood by researchers outside of your area of expertise. In other words, technical terms and detailed descriptions of research methodologies are to be avoided.
- A series of conferences which include professors at the University of Ottawa as well as invited professors and researchers;
- Public debates on current events;
- Brown-bag lunches;
- Research workshops on particular themes;
- Presentations of on-going research by professors, students and researchers, and research seminars;
- Training sessions for researchers and graduate students;
- Informal meetings to discuss events and challenges with the intention of identifying issues and improve research.
- Travel expenses for invited guests;
- Expenses associated with round tables, debates, seminars, or workshops not eligible for SSHRC funding;
- A research assistantship for a student who will be responsible for the day to day running of the activities of the research group;
- Field research necessary for the research group to apply to an external funding agency;
- Purchase of specialized software and data banks;
- Purchase of computer equipment to be used exclusively by the students and research assistants associated with the research group.
Ineligible Expenses: Expenses linked to funded research, to the dissemination of research (for example, participation in conferences or publication costs that are covered by other internal funding programs) or to course releases.
The Faculty of Arts competitions will be held on April 1, September 15, December 1. For more details, please contact the Office of the Vice-Dean Research.
 Affiliated members will be able to supervise theses in the group's research area and will be responsible, as principal investigators and co-investigators, for research projects in the group's research area.