Program Description – Insight Grant
- Write your proposal in clear, plain language (non-technical terms) and avoid jargon.
- Use subtitles to organize your proposal according to the information required.
- Respect the number of pages and presentation guidelines.
Budget (guidelines for the acceptable use of grant funds)
NEW: The maximum grant has been lowered to 400K, and the annual maximum to 100K.
- Budgets are included in the evaluation process: be reasonable and substantiate every expense.
- Training-related expenses (at least 60 % of your total budget)
- Travel and subsistence costs
- Research equipment and supplies
- Paper and ink cartridges used for data collection (questionnaires).
- Printing of electronic articles relevant to the research project.
- Computers and electronic communications
- Justify the need for computers and other electronics.
- Software, printer, video camera, digital recorder, etc.
- Dissemination of research results
- Costs associated with the dissemination of findings, including those of publishing in an open access journal.
- Costs of conference travel for researchers and students.
- Costs of developing and maintaining a Web site, preparing a research manuscript, translation, and holding a workshop or seminar that relates directly to the funded research.
Co-applicants and collaborators Co-applicants and collaborators must register online to be included in the application. However, collaborators are no longer required to submit a CV.
NEW: The University of Ottawa has created an online reference tool for the writing of SSHRC Insight Grants. This page contains numerous tips and tricks for all the section of this grant application.
This tool can be found here: https://research.uottawa.ca/resources/advice-writing-successful-application
August 1, 2016
Confirm your intention to submit a proposal with Mélanie Rioux by submitting a notice of intent (recommended).
September 19, 2016
Deadline to hand in your application to the Office of the Vice-Dean Research for feedback.
October 17, 2016
(before 3pm) Deadline for submitting applications to SSHRC and the RE form (paper copy) to the Office of the Vice-Dean Research.
Submitting your Application October 17, 2016
There are two steps to submitting:
1. Office of the Vice-Dean Research SMD 106, before 3pm:
- An RE form completed and signed by yourself and the head of your department.
2. VERIFY and electronically SUBMIT your online-application from your SSHRC portfolio no later than 3pm.
Do not wait until the last minute!
RE Form – request for funds from an outside agency
The RE form is mandatory, even if you are a co-applicant on a grant managed by another university. It is available on the Research Management Services website.