Authorized to supervise theses. and Associate Professor, Department of History
55 Laurier Avenue East, Room 9162
Office Hours: Tuesday 1:15 - 2:15, Friday 11:00 - 12:00
Office: 613-562-5800 ext. 1282
Work E-mail: eallinap@uOttawa.ca
Labor, law, and the state in colonial Africa; African diasporas in socialist and post-socialist Europe; urban planning and social surveillance in colonial and contemporary southern Africa.
In 2011-12: Research Fellow, Internationales Geisteswissenschaftliches Kolleg, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin. Project title: “Tracing African History in the Shadow of the Berlin Wall: Mozambicans in East Germany, c. 1963-2000.”
- “‘Fallacious Mirrors’: Colonial Anxiety and Images of African Labor in Mozambique, ca. 1929,” History in Africa 24 (1997).
- “Resistance and the Social History of Africa,” Journal of Social History 37, 1 (2003).
- “‘Friendship of Peoples’ After the Fall: Violence and Pan-African Community in Post-Soviet Moscow,” with Jessica Allina-Pisano, in Africa in Russia, Russia in Africa: 300 Years of Encounters, Maxim Matusevich, ed. Trenton, NJ: Africa World Press, 2006.
- “The Zimba, the Portuguese, and Other Cannibals in Late Sixteenth-century Southeast Africa,” Journal of Southern African Studies 37, 2 (2011).
- Slavery By Any Other Name: African Life under Company Rule in Colonial Mozambique. Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press, 2012.