About the Department
- Immerse yourself in complementary streams of education: Studio Practice + Art history and Theory.
- Get top-quality, personalized education and become part of an artistic community.
- Study amongst the best students in the region.
- Absorb ideas from professors who infuse their teaching with active professional experience and in-depth knowledge.
- Learn from nationally and internationally respected artists, art historians and theoreticians.
- Visit the best municipal and national art museums and organizations: the National Gallery of Canada, the Ottawa Art Gallery, Library and Archives Canada, the Canada Council for the Arts, several artist run centres and local galleries.
- Benefit from our commitment to the integration of art theory and practice.
The University of Ottawa is proud of our many graduates who have gone on to make major contributions to the art world and our decades-long history of outstanding artists, art historians and theoreticians who have taught in the Visual Arts Department. This legacy lives on. Our professors offer attentive teaching and mentoring within a close-knit departmental community, while also encouraging student interaction with a broad network of art institutions and professionals.