Mandate of the Committee on Graduate Studies
The Committee on Graduate Studies ensures that program quality meets the standards set by the Office of the Vice-Dean Research and the Ontario Council on Graduate Studies (OCGS) or its successor. The Committee studies, comments on, and makes recommendations to the Faculty Council on the following:
- admission requirements of the Faculty’s graduate programs and measures required to limit, if necessary, registration in certain programs;
- the structure, content and learning objectives of the Faculty’s graduate programs;
- admission requirements, structure, content and learning objectives of interdisciplinary and joint programs that involve the Faculty of Arts;
- changes to courses and programs, as well as the creation of new courses and programs;
- the implementation of policies that promote academic success and enhance the quality of student experience;
- the internationalization of graduate programs and development of opportunities for student mobility.
The Committee on Graduate Studies consists of the following members:
- the vice-dean graduate studies, who chairs the Committee;
- the vice-dean governance and secretary (ex-officio member);
- five (5) representatives from Faculty sectors: one (1) from fine arts, two (2) from the humanities and two (2) from language and literature. These representatives are elected by Faculty Council for a term of two (2) years. Terms of office begin July 1 and are renewable once;
- a full-time graduate student registered in the Faculty of Arts, nominated by the Executive Committee and elected by the Faculty Council for a term of two (2) years;
- the administrator of graduate studies, who acts as secretary of the Committee and takes minutes (non-voting member).