Student Employment Opportunity:
Student Mentors - Faculty of Arts Mentoring Centre
Share your knowledge, make a difference, gain perspective. Become a mentor!
Summary of Duties
Student mentors accompany newly admitted students as they adjust to university life. They also meet with 2nd, 3rd and 4th year students from the Faculty in both individual and group settings in order to help them during their studies at university. Mentors help fellow students to develop effective learning strategies and study methods, to adopt work habits that favour academic, personal and professional success, and to become familiar with University rules and practices. Mentors not only help students to better define their goals, but also assist them in making use of the services provided by the Faculty and the University in order to reach their potential and better adjust to university life.
Note: The Student Mentor position does not involve tutoring in any discipline taught at the Faculty of Arts.
- Registered in 2nd year or higher, in a program of the Faculty of Arts
- Has a good academic record
- Is knowledgeable about the campus, its faculties and services
- Shows strong communication, organization and leadership skills
- Is capable of working independently and as part of a team
- Is interested in helping others; must be empathetic to students needs
- Demonstrates a strong sense of discretion and professionalism
- Accepted by the Work-Study Program
- Previous experience as a group facilitator
- Is bilingual; fluent in speaking and writing in both official languages (English / French)
Number of jobs available
12 positions (roughly 10 hours of work per week)
Please send your resume and cover letter to:
Étienne Pépin, Coordinator, Mentoring Centre, Faculty of Arts
In your cover letter, please demonstrate the following:
1) Why mentoring is important to you;
2) The abilities you possess that may help you in a position of peer support.