Class President 2019 - 2020
As you know, uOttawa will not be moving forward with the traditional in-person Spring ceremonies that were to take place from June 7 to 10, 2020. However, the Faculty of Arts is still looking for up to two remarkable students to represent the graduating classes of 2020!
The student(s) selected, as Class President(s) will each give provide a rousing, bilingual, three-to-five-minute speech that will be shown at the end of a ceremony as a send-off to the graduates of 2020.
*** At the present time, it is unsure if the Class President(s) will need to present their speech separately or together in a prerecorded format or in person at a later date if the ceremonies are postponed. We appreciate your understanding in the matter and promise to keep you well informed of any developments. ***
The Class President(s) will be selected by a committee made-up of faculty administrators and student leaders.
- Academic excellence;
- Excellent communicator;
- Contributions to the University of Ottawa and Faculty of Arts community and/or to an off-campus community;
- You must be graduating as part of the Class of 2020 with your first program in the Faculty of Arts;
- You must be bilingual (English and French);
- You must be available to provide a prerecorded speech before June 7, 2020.
To be considered, you must submit the following documents:
- An official or unofficial copy of your most recent grade report;
- A brief statement (maximum of one page) outlining your involvement or volunteer activities in the Faculty of Arts/University of Ottawa community or in an off-campus community;
- A quick draft of your rousing, bilingual speech (approximately 700 words or 2 pages, double-spaced). The speech should look towards the future for members of the Class of 2020, drawing upon your personal memories or experiences but expressing them in a manner that will resonate with all the graduating Arts students attending the convocation;
- A 60-to-90 second video* summary of your bilingual speech; and
- A completed copy of the nomination form
- Please submit your completed application to Fidèle Lavigne by email at Arts.Manager.Marketing-Communication.Gestionnaire@uottawa.ca, by 4 p.m. on April 30, 2020.
The selection committee will review your application and will contact you should you be chosen as Class President.
Thank you in advance for offering to participate in this leadership opportunity.
* We are not looking for professionally produced videos. Your video should support your application by demonstrating your speaking skills, not your video production skills.
All contestants acknowledge that videos submitted may be used by the Faculty of Arts in promotional materials, advertisements and online marketing activities. By entering the contest, participants expressly waive all moral rights with regard to the video. The University may use, edit, reproduce, publish, broadcast, exhibit, transmit and distribute both the video itself and the name, images, audio and text submitted by the participants, without further permission or compensation.