Represent the Faculty of Arts at the Convocation Ceremony in June 2020!
The Faculty of Arts will be looking for a student whose university path shows excellence to represent the graduating classes of 2019 at the convocation ceremony in June 2020. The Class President will be selected by a committee made-up of faculty administrators and student leaders. The student selected as Class President will give a rousing, bilingual, three-to-five minute speech at the end of a ceremony as a send-off to the graduates of 2020.
- Academic excellence;
- Contributions to the University of Ottawa and Faculty of Arts community and/or to an off-campus community;
- You must be graduating as part of the Class of 2019 with your first program in the Faculty of Arts;
- You must be bilingual (English and French);
- You must be available to attend your program’s convocation in June, 2020.
To be considered, you must submit the following documents:
- An official or unofficial copy of your most recent grade report;
- A brief statement (maximum of one page) outlining your involvement or volunteer activities in the Faculty of Arts/University of Ottawa community or in an off-campus community;
- A draft of your rousing, bilingual speech (approximately 700 words or 2 pages, double-spaced). The speech should look towards the future for members of the Class of 2020, drawing upon your personal memories or experiences but expressing them in a manner that will resonate with all the graduating Arts students attending the convocation;
- A 60-to-90 second video* summary of your bilingual speech stored on a USB memory stick; and
- A completed copy of the nomination form, signed by 10 students from the Faculty of Arts;
Please submit your completed application to the Marketing and Communications Manager in Simard Hall (SMD), Room 416.
The selection committee will review your application and will contact you should you be chosen as Class President.
Thank you in advance for offering to participate in this leadership opportunity.
For further information, please contact the Office of the Dean of the Faculty of Arts at 613-562-5800, ext.: 1023.
* We are not looking for professionally produced videos. Your video should support your application by demonstrating your speaking skills, not your video production skills.
All contestants acknowledge that videos submitted may be used by the Faculty of Arts in promotional materials, advertisements and online marketing activities. By entering the contest, participants expressly waive all moral rights with regard to the video. The University may use, edit, reproduce, publish, broadcast, exhibit, transmit and distribute both the video itself and the name, images, audio and text submitted by the participants, without further permission or compensation.