Room: Desmarais Building, 55 Laurier Avenue East, Room 9115, Office Hours:
Office: 613-562-5800 ext. 1280
Work E-mail: hteslerm@uOttawa.ca
- HIS1120B: What is Europe? History of Europe, 16th-20th Centuries
- HIS2341A: History of Europe in the 19th Century
Areas of Interest
History of Modern Europe (19th and 20th Centuries); Modern Jewish History and Culture in Europe and the Americas; European Union and European Integration; Social and Cultural History; Music and History; Nationalism; History of the Holocaust
I see history as an exploration of the human condition and employ my areas of interest as a way of achieving a better understanding of the individual and their place within society. In terms of my areas of historical interest, I am devoted to the study of Europe in the modern era as well as how Jewish history has unfolded across the Diaspora (both Europe and beyond) in the modern period. I also regularly study nationalism as a historical and sociological phenomenon and foreground this in both my research and teaching. I am also deeply interested in the reciprocal relationship between culture and history and explore their mutual paths of impression. Coincidental with these ongoing areas of interest, I have of late been explicitly delving into the History of the Holocaust.
An alumnus of the University of Ottawa, I have been teaching at the University of Ottawa since 2009. I regularly teach courses that focus on modern Europe (HIS1120, HIS 2341, HIS2342, HIS3320) as well as senior undergraduate seminars devoted to my areas of interest. I have also taught HIS1111 as part of my ongoing engagement with the history of the modern world.
- Neither in Dark Speeches nor in Similitudes: Reflections and Refractions Between Canadian and American Jews. 300pp. Volume co-edited with Barry Stiefel. (Wilfrid Laurier University Press, 2016)
- “Performing Jewish?: Heinz Unger, Gustav Mahler, and the [Musical] Strains of German-Jewish Identity between Canada and the United States,” in Neither in Dark Speeches nor in Similitudes: Reflections and Refractions Between Canadian and American Jews. 31pp. (Wilfrid Laurier University Press, 2016)
- “A Mickey Mouse Kind of Europe: Representations of Europe in the Disney Narrative,” in The Journal of Contemporary European Studies, June 2016: 1-14.
- “’Moving Forward Together’; Canada-Greece Relations since 1942,” produced for the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (DFAIT) (2012). 16pp.
- “The Union of Laughter and Forgetting? The European Union’s Construction of its Own History,” in Review of European and Russian Affairs, Volume 2, Issue 4 (2006): 8-28.