The Arab Canadian Studies Research Group (ACANS) is dedicated to establishing a new field of study, unique in Canada and worldwide, to foster research on and understanding of the historical experiences and cultural productions of Canadians of Arab origins. ACANS is an interdisciplinary research group that includes various fields such as Arabic studies, history, sociology, political science, religious studies, literature, and media studies, among others.
ACANS provides a space and a structure for researchers and scholars to study Arab Canadian history and cultures, and to collect material by and about Canadians of Arab origins as a primary source for research in the field. The group will actively support scholars in order to communicate their knowledge and share their findings through the group’s website, to encourage members and researchers to organize conferences and academic activities in Arab Canadian studies and to help publish the results of their research in scholarly publications.
Hosted by the University of Ottawa and established in the dynamic environment of the national capital, ACANS aims to become the nucleus of research and scholarship on current issues facing Canadians of Arab origins as well as Arabs in North America at large.
- History of Arab Immigration to Canada
- Canadian Diasporic Communities of Arab origins: ethnicity, class, gender and religion
- Canadian Professionals of Arab origins: a History of Integration
- Arab Canadian and Arab American Studies: links and prospects
- Canada - Arab International Relations
- Cultural and Artistic Contributions of Canadians of Arab origins:
Migrant Literature: Arab Canadian writers
Transnational Cinema : Arab Canadian filmmakers
Arts and Performance: visual artists, media people, dancers, musicians