Spoken daily by over 400 million people worldwide, Arabic is one of the world’s major languages. The programs in Arabic language and culture provide you not only with a good knowledge of the language itself, but also with an invaluable perspective into Arabic culture, history, literature, philosophy, religion and society. In addition, agreements between the University of Ottawa and other universities in the Arab world allow you to go on exchange programs in countries such as Tunisia and Egypt.
Please note: Modern language programs are currently undergoing restructuring. For this reason, applications for these programs are suspended for an indefinite period. Although the programs are suspended, the courses are still active and we invite you to register.
*Although the programs are suspended, the courses are still active and we invite you to register.
Immersion: Stay Abroad
If you wish to discover the world and learn Arabic at the same time, these programs are for you. The major includes a mandatory immersion stay abroad in an Arabic-speaking university, where you will be surrounded by the language and be required to take at least twelve credits of courses. A mobility scholarship to help you cover the cost of your travel and stay is available.
Examples of Possible Combinations
- Arabic Language and Culture and History
- Arabic Language and Culture and Political Science
- Arabic Language and Culture and Translation
Program-specific Admission Requirements
Students with prior knowledge of Arabic must take a placement test to determine their level of proficiency and whether they are exempt from certain languages courses.
- Immigration Settlement Liaison Officer
- Multiculturalism Project Officer
- Many positions in tourism
- Cultural or International Adaptation Specialist
- Intergovernmental Affairs Officer
- Multiple occupations in diplomatic service, foreign and cultural affairs
- Teaching positions after completion of a degree in education.
- These programs are a major asset in the international marketplace.