On April 11, 2012, the Department of Modern Languages and Literatures hosted its annual end-of-year Book Award Party to celebrate the achievements of students in its many programs. The books were presented to the selected students by distinguished members of the Ottawa diplomatic community, including the Ambassador of the State of Qatar, the Chargé d’affaires of Lebanon, and representatives of the embassies of Austria, China, Germany, Japan, Ireland, Italy, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Switzerland, and the Head of the British Council in Ottawa.
Awards were presented to the following students:
- For Arabic: Jérémie Beauchamp, Marie-Eve Larivière, Ali Marzuz, Pascale Payette.
- For Celtic Studies: Emma Grigor, Xavier-Oscar Mou, Emilie Lavallée-Funston, Gregory Shaw.
- For Chinese: Daria Bodnya, Matthew Gaudreau.
- For German: Raphaëlle Piché, Tambra Schlarb, Stephaie Read, Nicolas Alexander Harrison.
- For Italian:Lilianne Carrier, Filomena Di Loreto, Gabriela Jirku, Eminovic Nejra.
- For Japanese: Hiu Tung Ho, Katie Richardson.
- For Latin-American Studies: Roxanne Dumoulin, Charlotte Anderson.
- For Polish: Edyta Dabrowski, Anna Majcher, Samantha Styczynski.
- For Portuguese: Shannon Ann Kuyt, Gustavo Alberto Paez Arzuza.
- For Russian:Frédérique Horwood, Bentley Schieckoff, Benjamin Spierenburg.
- For Spanish: Annik Bilodeau, Philippe Bois, Patricia Laforest, Karem Langer-Pardo.
- For Yiddish: Karl Guebert.
- For their contribution to the Department:Mélanie Courtemanche, Jamie Dossett-Mercer.