After adjudicating her impressive performance on May 25, a jury of musicians at the National Arts Centre named Phoebe Robertson winner of the 2015 NAC Orchestra Bursary Competition. Phoebe will be entering her third year in the Baccalaureate of Music program next year, continuing her studies with Camille Churchfield.
National Capital Region music students who are studying for careers as orchestral musicians competed for prizes totaling over $19,000 in May. The eight finalists selected from the 20 auditions that were heard by a jury of four NAC Orchestra musicians and three special guests were all either current students or recent graduates of the School of Music.
The NAC Orchestra Bursary Competition 2015 winners are:
• 2015 NAC Orchestra Bursary ($7,000) – Phoebe Robertson, flute
• Crabtree Foundation Award ($5,000) – Laura Andrew, flute
• Friends of the NAC Orchestra Award ($3,000) – Rachel Domingue, oboe
• The NAC Orchestra Vic Pomer Award ($2,000) – Joel Houghtby, percussion
• The Piccolo Prix ($1,000) – Josh Wynnyck, timpani
• The NAC Orchestra Special Prizefor the best performance of prescribed orchestral excerpts ($1,000) – Phoebe Robertson
• Honourable mentions ($225 each) – Allison Miller, Julien Simard, Olivier Brisson