Programs of study
The School of Music of the Faculty of Arts provides the rigorous training needed for a vibrant and successful career in music. The programs include options in performance, musicology, theory, composition, music education and piano pedagogy. Ensembles include the Orchestra, Wind Ensemble, University of Ottawa Choir, Calixa-Lavallée Choir, Opera Workshop and several smaller ensembles.
- Bachelor of Music (BMus): The first two years consist of a set of core applied and academic courses. Students select their profile option at the end of the 2nd year and then follow its requirements in the 3rd and 4th years. The performance profile requires a successful audition.
Admission to the bachelor of music (BMus) program requires that you audition on your main instrument and demonstrate an intermediate or advanced level.
Participation in ensemble courses is compulsory for students in the baccalaureate of music (BMus) program. Consult the specific sector requirements.
- Honours BA in Music
- Bachelor of Music/Honours Bachelor of Science with Major
- Major in Music Studies
- Minor in Music
- Certificate in Piano Pedagogy: open to students who already have a few years of experience in piano instruction.
- Master of Music (MMus)
- Master of Arts Music (MA)
- Master of Arts Music Specialization in Medieval and Renaissance Studies
- Master of Arts Music Specialization in Feminist and Gender Studies