Admission to the Bachelor of Music (B.Mus) and the Master of Music (M.Mus) requires an audition on the student's major instrument. Students must demonstrate an advanced level of technical proficiency and performance ability. See audition requirements, below.
Admission to the combined Bachelor of Music and Science (B.Mus./B.Sc.) requires an audition on the student's major instrument. Only students demonstrating a truly exceptional level of technical proficiency and performance ability will be considered for admission.
For admission to the Honours BA with specialization in Music, (B.A. Hons.), no audition is required.
Steps to apply to the University of Ottawa
- To apply to the University of Ottawa, please create your profile on the OUAC web portal. BMUS students can follow this link to the application page: https://www.ouac.on.ca and MMUS students can follow the instructions on this webpage: http://www.uottawa.ca/graduate-studies/programs-admission/apply
- BMus applicants must fill-out the audition form and return it to audition@uOttawa.ca
Steps to select an audition date
- Go to the following page to select your audition time: https://web47.uottawa.ca/en/lrs/node/29361
- Insert instrument (ex. Piano) in the search bar to facilitate finding the correct date
- Choose the program associated with your instrument, BMus or MMus
- Once you have selected your audition date, you will have to choose your audition time and date again in the list of choices on the right side of the page.
- Select “Add to cart”
- Create a profile on this page
- Complete the form by selecting “other’” to identify yourself
- Once completed, you will be directed to the general store page
- Finalize your order by paying with a credit card
For more information, please consult the guidelines for the audition day.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us : audition@uOttawa.ca
SCHOOL OF MUSIC - AUDITION DATES
Dates to be determined
Click on your instrument sector below. You will be redirected to that sector’s page. There you will find information on the sector, its faculty, audition requirements for BMus and MMus candidates, and a list recommended free-lance accompanists. Note that the School of Music does not provide accompanists for the auditions. Candidates are responsible for securing their own accompanist. You can use accompanists from the list or anyone else of your choosing.
Please note, we do not administer a theory placement test for admission to the Bachelor of Music degree. Any such evaluation happens at the start of the Fall semester.
Master of Music in Composition
Applicants for the M.Mus in Composition should upload (in UO Doc) 3 scores in pdf format. (A single file comprising all 3 scores is preferred, but not required.) At least one of these scores should be for 3 or more instruments and one should have a duration of 5 minutes or longer. The first page of each score should be a title page with Title, Instrumentation, Name, and Date of Composition. On the back of the title page, please provide program notes and a link to an audio file via YouTube, Dropbox, Soundcloud, Google Drive, etc. Digital mockups (such as Finale or Sibelius playback) are acceptable. You may use the following link to convert mp3s to YouTube videos: https://www.tunestotube.com.