Learn from the experts: working professional interpreters.
The Master of Conference Interpreting is a rigorous, intensive professional training program. Based in
the heart of the National Capital Region, the University offers the program in partnership with the
Government of Canada’s Translation Bureau. Most of its courses are taught by the Bureau’s professional
Prepare to work with the Translation Bureau or as a freelance conference interpreter.
The program will prepare you for an exciting career as a conference interpreter, providing you with the
training and skills you need to:
- Deliver a speaker’s message in English or French correctly, clearly, concisely, and appropriately in the other official language.
- Acquire a solid grasp of the Canadian political context, parliamentary and current affairs, and general knowledge.
- Carry out effective and efficient terminological and documentary research in the two official languages.
- Apply highly developed cognitive and memory skills required for consecutive and simultaneous interpreting.
- Find innovative solutions to challenging translation and interpretation problems.
Gain experience on Parliament Hill.
At the end of your second term, you will complete a five-day practicum during which you will be paired
with a senior interpreter on Parliament Hill. The program’s practical nature will have prepared you for
this challenge: you will have had nine months of intensive interpreting practice, with your professors
analyzing your performance and providing in-depth, personalized feedback.
The MCI was a unique and unforgettable experience. Courses are taught by professional interpreters
who work for the Translation Bureau (TB), and their concrete and practical approach prepared me
extremely well for my entry into the labour market. Once I’d earned my master’s degree, I was hired by
the TB as an intern (and eventually as a permanent employee), which enabled me to put into practice
the skills I had acquired as soon as I finished my studies, an incredible opportunity!
Parliamentary interpreter, Translation Bureau, Government of Canada
Master of Conference Interpreting (2019)
- Coursework (10 months)
- Full-time enrolment
- In-person courses
- September start
- Courses are bilingual (balanced between English and French)