Welcome to the Arts Writing Centre!
Our goal is to help students develop their writing talents in a friendly and collaborative environment. Our mandate is to work with students who are enrolled in courses offered by the English Department.
If you need help with your writing assignments for other courses in other faculties, please contact the uOttawa Academic Writing Help Centre at www.sass.uottawa.ca/writing or call 613-562-5601.
ENG students: We are equipped to help students whose first language is English. ESL students can seek help from the Official Languages and Bilingualism Institute (OLBI) by contacting the Julien Couture Resource Centre at MHN 02.
Our staff is composed of uOttawa graduate students with a great deal of experience tutoring and teaching. We provide our expertise in combination with digital resources like grammar software and online dictionaries and databases.
To make an appointment with a tutor, please click here to check our schedules. We also accept walk-ins whenever possible, although spaces are limited. Students may book a maximum of two half-hour blocks per day, and a maximum of three hours per week.
Please come prepared with a good understanding of your assignment and your professor's expectations. For example:
- Grammar and Style
- Thesis statement(s)
- Introductory / Concluding paragraphs
- Topic sentences
Rather than proofread or copy-edit your work, we will work together in order to help you understand how to improve your own writing.
For obvious reasons, we cannot evaluate and critique an entire unmarked essay, but we can certainly focus on particular paragraphs or sections that prove most problematic.
In order to help make our meeting as efficient as possible, we ask that you perform the following tasks before our appointment begins:
- Print a hard copy of your work. No electronic versions please!
- Do your best to finish your draft. If you are still brainstorming essay ideas, it is best to do so with your professor or classmates.
- Meet your professor. Make certain that you fully understand the assignment and expectations.
- Keep an open mind. Working with a tutor doesn’t guarantee a better grade, but it is an important step toward improving your performance.
We look forward to working with you!